Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Attributes of God - God is Omnipotent - Unlimited Power

I've been struggling with this post.  I've started and stopped it at least three times already.  It's not writer's block, it's just that there is so much to say and I am finding my words inadequate.

I wrote previously about God's Eternality and His Faithfulness.  These two attributes are very important to me personally.  But this attribute of God, I believe, should be important to every living being on earth.  Even more important should be the way that the Lord wields His unlimited power.  Mark Galli writes that we long for a God of limitless power because we are very aware of our weaknesses.  That isn't a direct quote but still that statement strikes a chord deep within me. 

What do you think of when you hear the word "power?"  Images that come to mind for me are Niagara Falls, the waves crashing on beach in Pescadero, CA, watching the wind turbines as I drive through the Altamont Pass, and the sound of an engine racing down the street.  These are just a few examples.  Now ponder this...  take all that energy and multiply it by a million, kajillion times.  That amount of power is just a drop in the bucket compared to the power that the Lord has available to Him. 

I praise God for His omnipotence.  With His power He created everything.  The earth, the skys, the sun, moon and stars.  He created Niagara Falls and the beach.  He gave us the technology to build those loud, powerful engines.  He gave us the knowledge and learning to harness power, to cure diseases and build monuments to our follies.  His power is in the storms, the wind, the rains and the snow.  But I never forget this:  His power can also be found in a single, unique snowflake, in a butterfly's wings, in the tiny, yet perfect, toes of a newborn baby.  HIs power can be found in the roof over my head, the food on my table and the clothes on my back.  His power can be found in the richest of homes and it can be found curling around His children who live in San Francisco's Tenderloin District.  God's power has no limits and no boundaries.  Where will you see His power today?

No comments:

Post a Comment