Wednesday, December 8, 2010

James 1:22 NRSV

22 But be doers of the word, and not merely hearers who deceive themselves.

On my desk at work I have a calendar with a daily Bible verse.  It is one of those flip calendars that only refer to the date, not the day of the week making it an "eternal" calendar.  This is today's verse.  I am finding it interesting because Brad has been preaching a series on the Sermon on the Mount and he closed out his series a couple of weeks ago with Matthew 7:15-23:

A Tree and Its Fruit

15 "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them. 21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23 Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

Are you saying, "But what does one verse have to do with the other?"  Even if you're not, let me explain. 

Christians will not be saved merely because they never missed church on Sunday mornings.  Christians will not be saved because they went to church most Sunday mornings.  They can attend and/or lead Bible studies, they can tithe, they can feed the hungry, they can build houses for the homeless, this will not guarantee eternal life with God.  What guarantees eternal life with God is the state of your heart as you walk in obedience to the call He has just for you.  The word is your call to obedience to the Lord.  We must listen, we must open our hearts and our minds to Him.  Without Him we are lost, destined to be thrown in the fire.  What better time than right now to adjust our hearts and our attitudes?   Tomorrow may be too late.  Run, headlong, and fling yourself into His arms.  Nestle in and murmur your love to Him.  Live your life in worship to Him.  Praise Him.  OBEY HIM!

Those of you who know me know that I am not sparing myself from these thoughts.  Those activities I listed above...  studying, tithing, building, feeding, those are all activities I participate in.  But if I do them with the wrong motives I will be joining the goats.  I pray my motives are pure.

1 comment:

  1. You are exactly right! Thanks for this reminder.

    Blessings to you!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete